Coffee keeps me alive

I love my wife, books, video games, movies, friends and coffee. Either your with me or against me but at least come by my house, drink some coffee with me, and we can talk about it.

Friday, September 28, 2007

What makes a week a week...

is it the fact that they are broken up by days of rest and reflection because if so I have had one of the longest weeks of my life and it looks like it might only be half over. I am on day 19 of work in a row. It has been great, I have learned so much and been able to take part in some great and information filled jobs and events but I am tired and ready for a break. Maybe this weekend I will be able to take a day off but I wouldn't put any money on it. Also if the day is Saturday I'm pretty sure the Auburn - Florida game will remove any chance of quiet contemplation.

Most of the new shows started this week and man was I impressed with the season premieres. "My Name is Earl" and "Grey's Anatomy" (two of my favorites) both had great starts but the best show on television "The Office" had an AWESOME first episode. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't gotten to it on their DVR( or TiVo) so skip to the bottom of this paragraph if you haven't watched it yet. The fact that they left you hanging the whole episode about Jim and Pam was great and the scene where Dwight is telling Angela about what he found when he went to feed Sprinkles was priceless. This season should be better than last and it's already proving to be.

Also I wanted to drop a quote that I read in my current book which I should be ready to review next week so I won't spoil it but if anyone has ever told me that something was childish, asked why a grown-up would do whatever it was that they were doing I always defend youth or the action of being young or living young. Who decides what is grown-up which things make you "mature" (that was me doing big quotations with my hands for effect). This quote is phenomenal:

"Youth is not a period of time. It is a state of mind, a result of the will, a quality of the imagination, a victory of courage over timidity, of the taste for adventure over the love of comfort. A man doesn't grow old because he has lived a certain number of years. A man grows old when he deserts his ideal. The years may wrinkle his skin, but deserting his ideal wrinkles the soul. Preoccupations, fears, doubts, and despair are the enemies which slowly bow us toward earth and turn us into dust before death. You will remain young as long as you are open to what is beautiful, good and great; receptive to the messages of other men and women, of nature, and of God. If one day you should become bitter, pessimistic, and gnawed by despair, may God have mercy on your old man's soul.
-Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Wow. He says it all.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Jason said...

    Great Quote.....Might have to borrow that one ..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home