Coffee keeps me alive

I love my wife, books, video games, movies, friends and coffee. Either your with me or against me but at least come by my house, drink some coffee with me, and we can talk about it.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Through the River and through the woods...


turned out to be how to spend an amazing weekend in the Sypsey wilderness not just how to get to grandmother's house. My dad and I went on a backpacking excursion this weekend and man did we have a good time. There are so many beautiful waterfalls in the area but we managed to spend the night below one of the most secluded. On a previous trip dad had found this little canyon and I can't say I wasn't skeptical when, after 6 0r 7 miles on day one, we headed "just a little ways" off the main trail to see this natural wonder. I was overwhelmed once we got there, about a mile later, at how few people probably have ever trekked down to this gorge.





It is where two tribuataries meet making two waterfalls right next to each other. Of course the waterfalls have names so we weren't the first people down there but it sure felt like it. We set up our tent on the only flatish spot around we couldn't find a trace of other people. We ended up hiking about 16 miles total and though I am definately feeling it this morning it was worth every step. I enjoy the outdoors so much I don't know how I waited this long to dive back into it. There is no better place to just feel God radiating than the outdoors seeing wildflowers, birds, snakes and insects in their natural habitat is a blessing. The last two miles of the walk back to the car we about as tough on me as anything I have ever done. We took a trial that was supposed to be about a mile long(45 min walk) and it ended up taking 2.5 hours on a ridge with no shade and it sapped me, slapped me around like I said something about it's momma. I was exausted but we persevered and Dad had to walk a little slower that he was used to but we made it home. And having finished one of my current books on the trip I figured I could end with a couple reviews.
Books
Me Talk Pretty One Day(Dave Sedaris) - 5 out of 5 - Hilarious collection of autobiographical essays. This guys just keeps me laughing. The above picture is me reading a couple sections to Dad at camp saturday night. Who would have thought God would make me a recliner all the way out there especially one that was really comfortable.
To Kill a Mockingbird - 4 out of 5 - Great classic. I had never read the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. Couldn't put it down.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger Nick M. said...

    Sign me up for the next great adventure! I love the outdoors and I've got a pack that is 4 years old and never been to the woods (lots of youth trips yes, but nothing real). Glad you had a great time, and those pics are GREAT!!

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger MacDubhsithe said...

    What a great trip ... can't wait to do it again!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home